Japanese Sake

Rintei’s drink menu carries staples such as beer and wine, but I would like to spotlight our Japanese sakes. 

Simply put, sake is brewed from rice, rice koji, and water. It can be further classified into categories such as Junmai Daiginjo, Junmai Ginjo, Junmai, and Futsushu (ordinary sake). There are other types as well, but I will elaborate on them another time to keep things simple. 

What deciphers these differences is the rice polishing ratio, which refers to how much the sake rice has been polished. It might still be a bit confusing, but the center of the rice used for sake is considered the best as it is free of impurities. The outer layers of the rice grain, which contain unwanted flavor profiles, are slowly and carefully removed to prevent the rice from cracking. The polishing ratio refers to how much of the outer layer is polished away. The more the rice is polished, the better the sake, but it also results in more loss. For instance, sake with a 60% polishing ratio means that 40% of the outer part of the rice is discarded, and only the remaining 60% of the grain is used. Junmai Daiginjo has a polishing ratio of 50% or less, Junmai Ginjo is 60% or less, and anything above 60% is considered Junmai. The reason Junmai Daiginjo is clear and fruity is largely due to the high polishing ratio, but it also justifies the higher price point. 

Rintei’s sake list includes three types of Dassai from Asahi Shuzo. All of them are classified as Junmai Daiginjo, with their polishing ratios being 45%, 39%, and 23%.  Even within the same Dassai name, the polishing ratio changes the flavor profiles for each sake. Which one is best depends on personal preference, so the best way to find out is to try them all. This is why my personal recommendation is the DASSAI FLIGHT, which allows you to taste and compare all three Dassais. Rintei offers five different Flight menus, allowing you to experience various types of sake. We hope you encounter your new favorite bottle. 

A bonus to Japanese sake is that it contains many nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, which are all beneficial for health and beauty. However, please consume responsibly.